Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Stratzeria: 10 thoughts on Making homemade pizza in Lansdale

For the third straight year I have been making pizza for friends as if it is my true calling. Maybe it is. Last night a friend said I needed a sign outside my house, The Stratzeria.

Some thoughts:

  1. Jazz is chosen randomly, counting by 7's. Last night it featured Anat Cohen, Tony Bennett, Duke Ellington, and three others. They are set before I start the dough. The other week I forgot this stage. I do turn down the volume just before guests arrive.
  2. People generally say they like all toppings, but what many really mean is they do no like olives and they think pineapple is a travesty. Personally if I could adapt to both of these I think you could as well. We love using oil-cured black olives.
  3. I do keep a running total of people have fed. The last two years I nearly fed 60 people pizza. It seems to be what we do these days for entertainment. I am mystified by how many friends I wish to have over.
  4. The best way to place greens on a pizza is to cook it in the sauce.
  5. It's ok to use straight mozzarella.
  6. It's ok to use billions and billions of other types as well. I like adding a bit of a second cheese to the mozzarella.
  7. Broccoli is best chopped into tiny bits. We like muenster cheese with broccoli.
  8. Dough. Heaping two cups of warm water, a splash of honey, two packets of yeast. One to two cups of whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup of olive oil, tsp of sea salt, and as much white flour to make if dough like. My recipe has evolved into this. It used to have a 1/4 cup of rye flour. Makes enough for two pizzas which I make on cookie sheets.
  9. Shrimp and garlic is heaven. It used to be a special Christmas Eve treat.
  10. If I am to make my own pizza sauce, then it happens in the summer by roasting tomatoes with garlic and salt. add fresh herbs from your garden at the very end.
Side note... I blogged about my Fit over here.

 

1 comment:

  1. one thought about your home-made za ...
    i'm feeling hungry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.