Sunday, November 25, 2012

Who just may have helped us to become a duo


A relatively new friend was over for pizza last week and was curious how a biology major and a poetry major became a couple.  She was thinking that we would live in different worlds and what the heck would we talk about.

So maybe it is time to give a shout out to a professor at East Stroudsburg University, who not only told me how to ID a Red Oak, and showed me that plants were worthy of our attention, and fueled my passion for evolution, but also thought one should be well educated in other ways.

He handed me the current stories of Raymond Carver and the WWI poetry of Wilfred Owens.  He brought music I had never heard into my life and filled my head with recent research in areas outside the realm of biology.

Reading alumni magazines fills my head with people who have climbed higher and higher in the professional careers.  I have no desire, and maybe I learned that from Dr. Raymond Milewski, who after all these years is still an Associate Professor doing what he digs best.  Teaching students about what he loves.  I hope he still diverges into other topics from time to time.  I sure hope so, and yes, I am going to  let him know I am alive and well.

updated~ Margaret just reminded that he introduced me to smoked Gouda cheese and I can add to that, blood oranges



6 comments:

  1. I really like Wilfred Owen. And people who have broad interests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Di ~ I posted one of his poems on Veterans Day.

      Delete
  2. that photo brings a smile.
    such lovely colours.

    i think dr. raymond has the right idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nance ~ I planted that with my students. I was blessed to be in his classroom.

      Delete
  3. Mr. Beavens, 2nd grade. taught me to rebuild a carburetor, unlock a combination lock, how to wait patiently and not touch while looking at potato chips and most importantly - to love math. I have tried to find him over the years to no avail...he left the school I was at the year after I had him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MsKlem ~ sounds like a wonderful teacher indeed. Tis a bugger when we lose touch with people who touched our lives in such ways.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.