Monday, September 7, 2009

Going Deeper, the fourth day --- Tanner and Mary and the blue Sky

After the first dinner of the retreat, you have a social activity, of sorts. All who are going to be companioned by a director show up at her/his office. I was the last to arrive and I was guided by a gesture to a chair. The chair offered quite a view.
But first this... I have been going to the Jesuit Center in Wernersville for about ten years. During that time you get to recognize the staff, from the maintenance folk, to the chef, to the woman who used to serve food but now cleans my room before and after I leave, to the office staff. One of these good folk would always pop up at mass and I was quite covetous of a job where you not only get a coffee break but you can get a Jesuit homily and the holy Eucharist while you were at it. And there she was guiding me to a chair in her office.I never knew she was also a spiritual director.
The chair had me facing a wall and on that wall was a painting. A highly favored painting by Henry Tanner. I live just north of the museum that own it. Prints and images of it seem to follow me.
By our fourth meeting a routine is set. My director gives me a meditation which I use as morning and evening prayer, I fall into a favored passage for my afternoon prayer. She is off making a copy of a meditation and I am staring at Mary. I decide I will do the Magnificat this afternoon. She walks in with a meditation on Mary's trip to Elizabeth and the Magnificat (Luke 1: 39-56).
She says, "When you speak of your friend, I think of Mary and Elizabeth." An hour later my imagination takes off once again and I am guiding Mary by hand to the Honda Fit and we hit the PA turnpike driving west. Mary changes from a teen to a woman my age mourning a son. I need both for this trip. A trip that takes me to a door step I have never seen and to my childhood. For days I have been wondering what to say when I write my friend. Now the letter takes form and I draw another card to fit inside that envelope.
after listening to those jazz tunes about Blue Skies... oh my, cool crisp Canadian air arrives and there it is...



6 comments:

  1. The "format" to your retreat seems different to me from anything I've ever encountered along these lines. The "heart", however, exploring the path, is known, a part of me in yur words. I'm enjoying these posts you share, Wayne, a good start to my "back to school" morning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wayne - this is a great line! "I was quite covetous of a job where you not only get a coffee break but you can get a Jesuit homily and the holy Eucharist while you were at it."

    Likewise a good post to read with my cup of tea after packing kids off to school and before I head out to morning prayer (sans Jesuit or Augustinian homily, alas).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I decide I will do the Magnificat this afternoon. She walks in with a meditation on Mary's trip to Elizabeth and the Magnificat"

    Isn't that wild?

    Like Jim and Michelle, I'm enjoying reading your accounts of the retreat. Thanks for taking the time to share.

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim, glad you keep traveling along with me. glad I have been a "good start"

    Michelle-- Thanks. I did not get a homily today at work. well, maybe the one person came close.

    Daisy--- yes, it was wild, and it forced me to find a different place to go for my afternoon prayer. That's another post. maybe I'll be done with this retreat one day ;')

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like you went on retreat for me, doing what I couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gannet Girl--- that is what you get when you ask me to think of you, well that is what you get this time. next time I might get distracted ;')

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.