Wednesday, September 12, 2007

creation today: it is still good


When I returned to church 10 years ago, I had plenty of doubts and some of them I was sure would stay with me forever. I did not want to touch the first chapter of Genesis, but I did.

It had to compete with my biology degree and interest in evolution. How could the two go together? Wasn't this whole subdue the Earth thing the main reason the planet had environmental issues?

The first break in the fence around my heart happened with the repetitive phrasing of God sensing that creation was good. Who could argue with that? Creation is amazing, if not always gentle and non-violent. The amazement I felt deep inside me that led to my studies in biology seemed to be shared with God. That was good.

Later a minister asked if I would help him with a project. He wanted to rewrite the creation story as if the Hebrews knew what we think we know today. So there we were with Big bangs, and interstellar dust, laws of physics and bacteria, evolution and hominids. But through it all, I wanted those words: and it was good. Pleasing to God.

Talking about cells today in my anatomy class a student said, "all cells come from cells." I agreed, but asked what the problem was with that statement, and soon enough I was asked where the first cell came from.

I said, "It is a mystery. A mystery that can not be explained. No scientist or theologian can tell us with certainty how or why that first cell came into being. But we can be happy that it did."

For it was good.



The images featured here were taken by Margaret. We are at my work place. She played with the camera at night and I watered the flower garden. The Lyng's sunflower I am stretching for once stood over nine feet tall before the weight of the flower bent it over. It took me 18 years to get to six feet, this plant only took 3 months to tower over me.

I am still filled with amazement at what has been created and what has evolved.

5 comments:

  1. The flower is amazing...it is indeed good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe each time I step into any element of our existence, Wayne, be it life in any form or the universe in its infinity. One of my favorite authors is Annie Dillard. I discovered her via a book of hers entitled "For The Time Being". A naturalist, as well as a writer, she approaches God as a mystery she can't quite escape. She finds the details and order in His creation, but can't begin to understand the existence of such things as birth defects, etc. You might enjoy her.....

    Genesis, by the way, is one of the OT books that, for me, lays a good foundation for the Gospel. It fits and interlocks with the NT in many ways.......

    Then, switching subjects, let me note that the sunflower is one of my son-in-law's favorites to grow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle-- I desire a photo of myself holding my mug

    Jim-- I love Annie Dillard... I love these words you use as you reflect on her..."God as a mystery she can't quite escape." matches up with Psalm 139 which I can't quite escape for I have yet again been guided by a director to reflect upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good - and beautiful.

    If you're selling the seeds from the flower I would love a couple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi-- the flower is hanging from the roof of the greenhouse where I work... I keep hitting my head on it. Anyway, I am not sure if the seeds matured fully???? The students and I have been trying to snack on them, but there isn't a lot there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.