Wednesday, August 8, 2007

sermonizing with Stefon





"Hope has left town, years ago," she says to me. It's all about low morale at work, monthly meetings to improve it, and being a building rep. So I send out e-mails asking for concerns, suggestions, and whatnots, which I sign peace, hope and joy. She e-mails back, mocks peace and joy, but forgets hope. I see her in the hallway, and say, "what about hope?" That is when I find out hope has left town.

"Only faith can guarantee the blessings that we hope for, or prove the existence of realities that are unseen." (Hebrews 11:1) Hmm, guarantee, I connect that to theologians who speak of Christian hope as a hope for eternal life. I see hope as larger than that, but don't see guarantees. I live in the realms of uncertainty. Back to my friend.

She lives with despair and anguish, but seems comfortable there. She enjoys ranting. She thinks I am a tree hugging new-age guy. I say, "What?"

She says, "You know, you garden, listen to jazz, and go on retreats." I say, "Duke Ellington, smelling fresh peppers, and Jesuits do not make me new age." But I seem to be off the beaten path. Add this to it; I believe in hope.

I hope for those unseen realities, both here on earth and after death. I can imagine those unseen realities on earth with more ease, for that is the kingdom I am immersed in at the moment.

Can we hope for a world with a loving God that heals people from their diseases, traumas, chemical imbalances, childhoods, attitudes, hatreds, and demons? Set them free to play in this beautiful world. To experience joy, and then be grateful and hope for more.

"It is by faith that we understand that the ages were created by a word from God, so that from the invisible the visible word came to be." (Hebrews 11:3) See the reality of suffering, hope for healing, imagine that it is possible to become visible, have faith, be grateful for what transpires, feel joy.

Ok, Stefon has shown up. As I sermonize, African Tarentella plays on my stereo. I drove to Harrisburg to listen to Stefon Harris play vibes, for as you know I listen to jazz. Stefon said, "It is true what they say, we are playing up here. Thanks for coming to see us have fun."

Stefon, thanks for having fun.

1 comment:

  1. Nobody, it seems, wants to give "hope" a seat at the table, Wayne; but if you go to chapter six in that Book of Hebrews you keep quoting, the author refers to it as "an anchor of the soulo, both sure and steadfast, and which entereth into that within the veil"! You can preach that to me anytime, my friend...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.